A committed management unit would provide clearly defined objectives and goals for organizational safety behavior. They would finance the activities of safety through purchases and resource allocations. Every level of management would value safety practices and accomplishments as much as regulatory compliance to water quality.
Steps to implement leadership commitment to safety are:
- Writing or personally signing a clearly defined safety policy that acknowledges safety and health as important as productivity, water quality, regulatory compliance, and customer service.
- Communicating the policy and values to all levels of the organization
- Visually set examples of safety behavior and demonstrate actions consistent of a safety culture.
- Allocate resources for safety and health
- Hold all levels of the organization accountable for safety performance